Youtube is undoubtedly the most user engaging website where we spend hours. Might be because of the same reason, Google introduced the feature of Take A Break Option in youtube as a part of Google’s Digital Well Being. On an average when we spend so much time on youtube, Imagine how much productive we can be if we know all youtube keyboard shortcuts.
Just by knowing a couple of Youtube keyboard shortcuts, you can have more control over youtube. However here i’m providing a comprehensive list of all the youtube keyboard shortcuts you can ever find. I’m listing each & every keyboard shortcut of youtube where some of these are not even mentioned in the official webpage of youtube keyboard shortcuts.
Contents of this post
- 1 All Youtube KeyBoard Shortcuts – Complete List
- 1.1 1.To Play & Pause the Video
- 1.2 2.Toggle Between Default view & Full Screen
- 1.3 3. Adjust the Volume / Mute
- 1.4 4. Skip Forward / Backward by 10 seconds
- 1.5 5. Skip Forward / Backward by 5 seconds
- 1.6 6. Seek the video by 10X % – Jump to a specific point in the video
- 1.7 7. Skip to Beginning / End of the Video
- 1.8 8. Turn On/Off Youtube Captions / Subtitles – Set Transparency
- 1.9 9. Play the video in Loop
- 1.10 10. Skip to Previous / Next Videos :
- 1.11 11. Search
- 1.12 12.Super Slow Motion Video
All Youtube KeyBoard Shortcuts – Complete List
1.To Play & Pause the Video
“Space Bar” Or the key “K” is used to play the video. If the video is already playing then use any of those 2 keys to pause the video & the same keys can be used to resume the paused video.
2.Toggle Between Default view & Full Screen
Click on the key “F” to view the youtube video player in full screen mode , if you are using default view. Use the same key to get back to default view when you are in Full screen view. However there is no keyboard shortcut yet to toggle from default mode to theatre mode & vice versa.
3. Adjust the Volume / Mute
- Use the “UP arrow” as the keyboard shortcut to increase the volume by 5%.
- Use the “Down Arrow” to decrease the volume by 5% everytime you press it.
- Tap the key “M” to mute the audio. Use the same key “M” to unmute the video.
4. Skip Forward / Backward by 10 seconds
- The key “L” (or) “Shift + L” – To skip forward the video by 10 seconds
- Use the key “J” (or) “Shift + J” – To seek backward the video by 10 seconds
5. Skip Forward / Backward by 5 seconds
- Use “Right Arrow” – To forward skip the video by 5 seconds
- Use “Left Arrow” – To seek backward the video by 5 seconds
6. Seek the video by 10X % – Jump to a specific point in the video
Use the numbers 0 to 9 to seek the video by 10% multiples.
- 0 is the beginning of the video
- Press 1 to jump ahead & Skip First 10% of the video
- Press 2 to jump ahead to 20% mark of the video.
- Similarly Press 9 to skip 90% of the video
7. Skip to Beginning / End of the Video
- Press the “Home” button to seek to the beginning of the video.
- Press the “End” button to seek to the end of the video.
8. Turn On/Off Youtube Captions / Subtitles – Set Transparency
- Click on key “C” To show the subtitles / captions when not shown.
- Click on key “C” again to hide the captions when they are being shown.
- When we press the key “W” – It shows us how the captions look like
- The key “O” – When pressed multiple times – Changes the transparency level of the Youtube Captions / Subtitles.
9. Play the video in Loop
This is not exactly a keyboard shortcut, but it’s a simple feature that needs to be known to everyone.
- Right click on the video player & click on the “Loop” option to play the current video again & again.
- To cancel it, Right click on the video again & uncheck the “Loop” option
10. Skip to Previous / Next Videos :
- Click “Shift+N” to skip to the next video
- Click “Shift+P” to go back to the previous video, But this keyboard shortcut works only if you are viewing a playlist in youtube.
In order to go to the search bar in Youtube, The keyboard shortcut is the special character “/”. Simply click on the key “/” & the control goes to youtube search box, then start typing.
12.Super Slow Motion Video
- Press the Period key (.) – when the video is paused, Click on the period / dot (.) key to move forward in the video ONE FRAME AT A TIME.
- Press the Comma Key (,) when the video is paused – To move backward frame by frame.
I hope you like the ultimate list of all YouTube keyboard shortcuts. I did enough research to make this list clear, complete & comprehensive. If i missed anything please mention the shortcut in the comment section & also please let me know you views.
Uday is a blogger by passion, IBMer by Profession, Artist by hobby & A huge believer of Karma…. Loves to write on tricks & tips that save time and increase productivity to every tech user.