VLC media player has been one of the best video players available. But it’s not restricted to just playing videos. We can do some simple entry level video editing too, Like trimming / Cropping the videos in VLC.
We can Trim or Cut videos with VLC , which means we can select a particular part of a video and can save it as a separate smaller video. Now you don’t have to keep a complete movie on your pc for the sake of one favorite scene.
One advantage of using vlc is It’s available on all the platforms. So if you do this a lot, Trimming videos, Then no matter which platform you are using, you can always do it with VLC.
Before starting, It’s always advisable to have the latest version of VLC for various reasons including new features as well as bug fixes. So try to update your vlc to the latest available version. You can always crop the video even if you don’t update. While writing this guide I’m using vlc 3.0.4. Download VLC now.
You might be interested in reading :
How to Cut / Trim Videos Using VLC :
In order to Trim video using VLC we need to enable the advanced controls & then we crop the video.
But technically , We are not cropping a video. But what we are doing is, we record the specific part of the video which we want to crop / trim using VLC media player.
1. Launch VLC media player on your Windows 10 PC / Mac (Note : this works on older versions of windows too)
2. From the menu bar, enable “Advance controls” under “View” option.
3. Once we enable the “Advanced Controls” we can see 4 new buttons enabled right above the play buttons as shown in the below image.
4. Now open the video you want to edit, Using drag and drop or from menu bar.
5. Now play the video to the beginning part of the play from where you want to cut the video.
6. Once you are at the starting point, Click on “Record” button ( The RED button).
7. Play the video or you can move it frame-by-frame using the “Frame by Frame” button. The last button in the Record button row.
8. Once the playback reached the end point (or the point until where you want to cut the video) click on the record button again.
The player starts recording when you click on the “RECORD” button the first time & stops recording when you click on the second time.
Once done, The video will be automatically saved in the videos folder on your windows 10 PC / Laptop.
C:\Users\<your username here>\Videos.
Useful Shortcut to Cut video on VLC
Tip: To make it simple, Using the keyboard shortcut “SHIFT” + “R” to start and stop the recording on VLC media player. When you tap “SHIFT” + “R” for the first time, The recording starts & When the tap the keyboard shortcut second time, The recording stops.
Even though this feature to Trim / Crop / Cut videos using VLC media player as a video editor is really handy, this is not an alternate to video editing tools. This is easy to use only if we are working on smaller part of the video files and can’t expect the ease on larger files; as we have to wait while the VLC is playing the video frame by frame.
Search Terms :
VLC trim video
Trim video vlc
Crop video vlc
VLC video editor
Trim video in vlc
VLC crop video
VLC cut video
How to cut videos in vlc
VlC edit video
Edit video with VLC
VLC video editing
Uday is a blogger by passion, IBMer by Profession, Artist by hobby & A huge believer of Karma…. Loves to write on tricks & tips that save time and increase productivity to every tech user.