Export Opera Bookmarks: Opera web browser has been an underdog in the world of browsers but still one among the top five. Initially released in the year 1995, Opera has invented some great cool features in the browser world. Some of them are
- Tabbed browsing,
- Deleting Browser History,
- Pop-Up Blocker
- In Built VPN
The Modern Versions of Opera web browser (versions 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 and so on ) offers synchronization of Bookmarks, Open tabs & Browsing History across all the devices and platforms. The feature I like most is the instant syncing of Open tabs, highly useful when you use multiple devices.
But a web browser of this popularity, that invented and offered a variety of features lacks one basic feature that every web browser provides & every user needs. The ability to Export Opera Bookmarks & data to other web browsers directly or as a ‘.html’ file. Yes, We don’t have an option to export opera bookmarks, history & browser data to other web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer & Safari.Yes, We don’t have an inbuilt option to export opera bookmarks, history & browser data to other web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer & Safari.
Note: This is long post, covering various methods to export bookmarks from opera on various platforms, to .html file , to other browsers. So i suggest you to please use the index / Table of contents to choose & navigate to the topic you needed easily.
Contents of this post
How To Export Opera Bookmarks :
So how do we export bookmarks from Opera to Chrome or Firefox, especially when we have Hundreds or in some cases thousands of bookmarks in opera? There may not be a default or inbuilt option provided in opera web browser, But that does not restrict us from exporting bookmarks from opera.
Note : - If you are using Opera Version 47, Please scroll down to "How To Export Bookmarks To HTML file" for a quick method. - If you are older versions of Opera web browser, it's better to update to Opera Latest Version (47 and later) to export bookmarks easily in one click.
How to Export Opera Bookmarks on Mac OS 2017
Exporting Bookmarks from Opera on Mac OS is much similar to how we do the task in windows. Since older versions of Opera don’t have the option to export bookmarks directly, Instead of following other time taking methods, I suggest you, to update to Opera web browser latest version for Mac from here
After updating to the latest version of opera browser for Mac OS,
- Open the browser on your Apple device (MacBook Air or iMac or MacBook Pro)
- From the Finder bar, Click on the “Bookmarks” menu.
- From the drop down menu, Click on “Show All Bookmarks”
- In the left sidebar of the bookmarks page, Choose the last option – “Export Bookmarks” to export your opera bookmarks to an HTML file.
- You’ll see a small pop-up window. You can rename the file if you want and choose the location to save.
- When done, Click on the “save” button to save the opera bookmarks as .html page on your apple device.
Now Using this .html file, you can directly import your opera bookmarks to any other web browser say chrome or firefox on you mac os. All the web browsers support importing data from the .html file. So simply go to import bookmarks option on any web browser in your mac os, Browse the bookmarks .html file we exported from opera browser. Select the file to import the content of that HTML file into your desired web browser (safari/chrome on mac os / Firefox for Mac OS ).
How to Export Bookmarks From Opera to Chrome
This process of exporting bookmarks from opera to chrome browser is similar for both mac & windows operating systems (including Windows 10). Follow this method only if you are using a older version of Opera web browser and unable to update to the latest version (version 47). Other wise it’s better to update the browser to export data easily.
- Open the opera web browser on your device.
- For windows: from The file menu, Click on “bookmarks” menu and select “Show all bookmarks” option.
- For Mac OS: From the Finder Menu Bar, Click On “Bookmarks” menu & Select “Show All Bookmarks” option.
- The bookmarks page on Opera is similar on both Windows and Mac users. Click on “ALL BOOKMARKS”.
- Now Select all the bookmarks using keyboard shortcuts to select and Copy all the bookmarks from Opera browser
- For Mac : “Command + A” to select & “Command + C ” to copy the selected bookmarks
- For windows: “Control + A ” to select all the opera bookmarks & “Control + C” to copy all the bookmarks
- Now Open Google Chrome Web Browser & Go to Bookmarks Page.
- Paste all the bookmarks there, which you have copied earlier from opera bookmarks page.
Note: if it didn't work for the first time, Please retry. It might be a copy paste issue. Note : Watch the below video to see how to do it.
How to Export Opera Bookmarks to HTML File
The latest version of opera web browser which was released on Aug 9th, 2017 rolled out with the inbuilt feature to export bookmarks directly. This is the first time, opera provided this option. However using this feature we can only export Bookmarks from opera web browser but not browsing history, passwords, and cookies.
I suggest you to update your opera browser on your PC or Mac or Linux to the latest version, so your task of exporting the bookmarks will be simplified to one small step.
To start Exporting Opera Bookmarks to an HTML file in windows, or in Linux, The procedure is similar to how we did in Mac OS (which is already discussed above).
The process is quite simple. Go to “Show all bookmarks” page and click on the “Export Bookmarks ” option available in the left-hand sidebar.
This will export the bookmarks in a HTML page.
Using this HTML page, we can import the opera bookmarks to firefox or chrome or any browser of your wish on your windows or Linux Device.
How To Backup Opera Bookmarks Easily
How to Backup Opera Bookmarks On your Linux Or Windows 10 PC. Or On You Apple device (running any version of Mac OS). There are two ways.
- You can simply export the bookmarks to .html file as we discussed until now.
- You can create an opera account. This enables you to backup & synchronize the following list of features on all your devices across various platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS).
- Open Tabs
- Passwords (New in Version 47)
However, you must be logged in with the same account in your opera browser on all the other devices.
Though the second option is quick and easiest way, not only to backup your Opera bookmarks in the cloud but also synchronize them across devices.
But if you are really serious and if these bookmarks are important and of value to you, I suggest you to take a manual backup (exporting opera bookmarks to HTML file) to the .html file.
The drawback with opera account cloud backup is – Accidentally if your bookmarks got deleted on one device, then the same will be synchronized to the cloud and later synchronized to all your other devices. Resulting in the loss of your valuable data across all the devices. This is the downside of synchronization across devices.
I hope I mentioned enough methods to export your opera bookmarks from the browser, export bookmarks from opera to HTML file & Importing bookmarks from Opera to any web browser. We have also seen how we can backup user data on opera to the cloud and also exporting the data on Mac, Windows and Linux OS. So, Please leave a comment and let me know if you have any doubts or if there is anything I missed.
Contents of this Post (including Images) are copyright protected to Author & Techisher.com. Copying, Rewriting, Republishing the article is strictly prohibited. However small snippets of this post can be used, provided that this post needs to mentioned as source immediately after the snippet. Thank you