Facebook’s new Face Recognition Software is Assuring & Scary. Before I tell you how to turn off facebook facial recognition feature, I wrote a piece of information about what is its purpose, How it is good & How it can be scary. Since you’re reading this article, I’m sure you might have already decided to Disable the feature. But if you have any doubt of what you might get or miss by opting out from FB’s Face Recognition, This article will clear that doubt.
Contents of this post
- 1 What is Facebook’s New Facial Recognition Software :
- 2 Why Facebook’s Face Recognition is Not Good?
- 3 How to Turn off Facebook Facial Recognition Feature?
What is Facebook’s New Facial Recognition Software :
Recently Facebook came up with a new feature called “Facial Recognition”. The purpose of this feature in simple words is – at least what Facebook is telling us – To alert the user when someone else posted their picture on Facebook. So if you activate this feature, Then Facebook will scan all the photos you uploaded & those in which you were tagged. This is much like tagging feature. But this feature lets you know if someone else is imposing like you.
Facebook terms this as one of the ways to fight the fake accounts & protect users privacy. If someone is using photos & videos of a user and imposing like them, Then that specific user will receive an alert regarding this activity along with facebook.
Why Facebook’s Face Recognition is Not Good?
Though, The motto that’s mentioned by FB to the public is highly appreciated. The option to get alerted someone else is using your images & impersonating you or Capturing a moment of yours without your consent is appealing.
But with the recent data scandal & how Facebook users data is being misused. It’s scary to realize that Facebook is going to scan each and every photo of yours.
How to Turn off Facebook Facial Recognition Feature?
Thankfully, Facebook is giving the option for users to opt out of this feature. Here’s A step by step guide to Turn Off Facebook Face Recognition Feature on Various Platforms like IOS, Android & On Web (iPhone & Android)
Turn Off Facebook Facial Recognition Feature on Facebook Android App
We can easily Opt-out / disable the face recognition feature On Facebook’s Android App :
- Open FB app on your Android Mobile.
- Go to your profile page in the app.
- Click on the “3 dots” (More Option) (Shown in the below image)
- Tap on “View Privacy Options”
- Now Scroll down to see ” … More Settings”
- Now you are in the account settings page: Tap on the “Face Recognition Settings”
- You will see the settings for Facebook’s Facial Recognition Feature
- Tap on it & Choose “NO” to opt out / Turn off the face recognition feature for your account.
How To Turn Off Facebook Face Recognition on IOS app
Turning off facebook recognition feature on Facebook IOS app is similar to FB’s Android App. The Page names used are a little different from Android to IOS. To Disable the feature,
- Open Facebook App on your IOS device
- Go To your profile page & Click on “More Settings” (three dots icon)
- From the Options – Tap on “View Privacy Shortcuts”
- In the privacy shortcuts page, Tap on “More Settings”
- Now in this settings page, Scroll down and select “Face Recognition”.
- This will give you Facebook’s Face Recognition feature settings. Tap on it & Choose “NO” to disable the feature for your Facebook account.
You have successfully Opted Out / Turned off face recognition feature for your Facebook profile.
Disable / Turn off FaceBook Facial Recognition On Web
If you choose to deactivate the face recognition feature of Facebook from your PC / Macbook, Here’s how to do it.
- Open any web browser on your PC / Mac & Login to your Facebook Account.
- Tap / Click on the Drop Down Icon on the top right corner.
- Click on “SETTINGS”. (1)
- From the list of options on the left side bar, Click on “Face Recognition” (2) to manage your Facebook facial recognition settings.
- Click on the “EDIT” option(3) , To Turn ON or TURN OFF the Face recognition feature on Facebook.
- From the drop-down menu (4) – Select “NO” & save the settings to successful Disable the facial recognition feature.
Now click on “Close” to save the settings .
You have successfully disabled face recognition from photos & videos on Facebook.
One Last Advise..
Letting facebook scan our photos & messages before is not worrying as they are providing a platform for us to be in touch with our friends. But knowing that FB is using it to manipulate us is horrific, we need to take every precaution we can to avoid it. In one way or another, We will know if someone else is using our images for a fake account. But we will never know what Facebook is doing with our data & how & in what new ways it is manipulating us until some whistleblower comes before us again. Our privacy is our right & never forget it’s the most valuable thing facebook is trying to steal from you for free.