Restore & Backup Sticky Notes Windows 10: I guess everyone is familiar with the sticky notes application in windows operating systems. Sticky Notes is the Most Useful and Handy App which helps us to take quick notes, reminders. Especially in 2017, windows 10 builds, The reminders we create in sticky notes can be synced with Cortana reminders. But sometimes we might accidentally delete them and unfortunately, there’s no undo option for this.
This post helps in retrieving the deleted sticky notes, to backup and to restore them whenever you need. Backup created in one version of windows can be used in another version too, let’s say you created a backup of sticky notes in windows 7 and you upgraded your Pc/Laptop to windows 10. You can still Restore/ Transfer all your sticky notes using the backup you created in Windows 7 to Windows 10. Don’t forget to note down the sticky notes folder location for windows 7 to windows 10, that I’m gonna share here for your future use to easily backup sticky notes frequently.
Contents of this post
- 1 How to Backup Sticky Notes in Windows (7/8/8.1):
- 2 How To Restore Sticky Notes in Windows (7/8/8.1):
- 3 The Alternate way to Restore Sticky Notes on Windows:
- 4 Windows 10 Sticky Notes Location :
- 5 How To Restore Sticky notes Backup from File in Windows 10:
- 6 How to Backup & Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 ?
How to Backup Sticky Notes in Windows (7/8/8.1):
- Goto “My Computer” or Press “Windows Key + E” to Goto My Computer.
- Copy the Below code and Paste it In the Address bar of the explorer or the window and press “enter”. This is the folder where we do backup and restoration of Sticky Notes in windows operating system. This is same for windows 7/8/8.1 . The below-mentioned address is the location / folder where sticky notes is saved in Windows versions that are older than Windows 10. (Windows 7/8/8.1)
- Copy the backup file of stick notes “StickyNotes.snt” and save it where ever you like. It’s the Backup File for Your Sticky Notes.
How To Restore Sticky Notes in Windows (7/8/8.1):
- Open Sticky Notes App on Your PC and Then Close it. This creates a folder for sticky Notes in App Data Folder in which we’re going to paste the backup file.
Note: If there are any existing notes in sticky notes, they will be lost. So please backup those to notepad before you try to restore your older sticky notes.
- Goto “my Computer” or Press “windows key + E” to go to My computer. Copy the below code and paste it into the address bar of the window and press “ENTER”. This is the folder where we do backup and restoration of Sticky notes in windows operating system. (Sticky Notes location on Windows ) This is same for windows vista/7/8/8.1.
- Now without closing this window, Open Windows Explorer in a New window and Now Navigate to the Location where you have saved your backup previously. Copy that File (StickyNotes.snt) and Get back to the other window.
- Paste the file here. If there’s already another File “stickyNotes.snt” is present there, then windows will give you the option to “COPY AND REPLACE IT” Simply click on it to Replace the previous file.
Now close this window. Run Sticky Notes Application on Your Windows PC and you’ll find all the sticky notes restored from your backup.
The Alternate way to Restore Sticky Notes on Windows:
Instead Of Copying the above-given Address, You can also use this Address below: (Sticky notes Saved Folder / Location on windows )
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes
but in the Place of “YOUR NAME”, you must replace it with the Net username. If your Username is “JAMIE” then the address of the location of sticky notes on your windows PC will look like this :
and the remaining procedure is same as above.
Sticky Notes has come into existence from Windows Vista. But if you’re windows XP user and you want to have sticky notes on your PC/computer /laptop there’s a third party available for sticky notes on windows XP called “Simple Sticky Notes”. Download it From “www.SimpleStickyNotes.com”.
Windows 10 Sticky Notes Location :
Windows 10 Sticky Notes location is something we need to know before we try to backup or restore them in windows 10. The location for sticky notes on windows 10 & Windows 10 Anniversary update is same. I’ve been using the preview build for Falls creators update and the sticky notes are saved in the same place in the upcoming update.
So Here is the address or location where sticky notes is saved in windows 10 :
How To Restore Sticky notes Backup from File in Windows 10:
You might be having a backup file from one of the older versions of windows – say windows 7, 8, 8.1. Since Microsoft did a complete makeover of the sticky notes app for windows 10, the restoration procedure is a bit different. Simply We are transfering the Sticky notes from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10. Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through it. Assuming you’ve already took your sticky notes backup from windows 7/8/8.1 Pc/ Laptop using the above mentioned procedures, I’ll continue with the steps which you have to do in your windows 10 PC/ Laptop.
- Close the sticky notes app in your windows 10 PC / laptop if it is running.
- Go to this folder in your windows explorer.
- Chances are there , you might be seeing something like this. If not Please create a new folder and name it “Legacy”.
- Now copy and paste the StickyNotes.snt backup file you already have inside the “Legacy” folder. and rename it to “ThresholdNotes.snt”. This is how the legacy sticky notes .snt files from older generations of windows are converted / supported in windows 10.
- Now Just open your Sticky Notes app in windows 10 and you’ll see all your Notes from your backup are restored.
How to Backup & Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 ?
As you’ve seen from the above method, Backup and restoring of sticky notes is a little bit different when compared with the procedure in older versions. Similarly, the naming has also been changed. In Windows 7 to 8.1, the backup file for sticky notes is named as StickyNotes.snt by default. But in Windows 10 it’s been changed to “plum.sqlite”.
Sticky Notes Backup Process in windows 10 :
- Close the sticky notes app in your windows 10 PC / laptop if it is running.
- Go to this folder in your windows explorer :
- See the file “Plum.sqlite” ? That is the file that contains all the data. Just copy and save it somewhere as a backup.
You’ve just backed up your sticky notes in windows 10.
Restore stickyNotes in windows 10:
So how to restore it when you formatted your windows 10 PC? It’s just as easy as that.
- Close the sticky notes app first.
- Just come back to the same location mentioned above,
- Paste your plum.sqlite backup file there in ‘LocalState’ folder.
A point worthy to mention, As mentioned above, Sticky Notes in Windows 10 is able to sync the reminders with cortana. From ideas/suggestions portal of Microsoft related to Sticky notes backup, restore and integration. It’s been observed that up on the request of many users, Microsoft is possibly working on syncing the content of sticky notes in Windows 10 with OneNote/ Cortana notes in the Future updates. We might expect it in the “windows 10 Fall Creators Update” in 2017 or may be in 2018 update. So Your Sticky Notes will be synced across devices either through cortana notes / OneNote. which means all the sticky notes will be backed Up in the cloud and no more loosing.
Please do leave a comment and let us know if you’ve used this method. Sharing is caring.
Post Originally Written on Aug 12, 2014
Last Updated on Aug 29, 2017
Uday is a blogger by passion, IBMer by Profession, Artist by hobby & A huge believer of Karma…. Loves to write on tricks & tips that save time and increase productivity to every tech user.